“Sophie and I would like to share the fact that after many meaningful and difficult conversations, we have made the decision to separate,” Trudeau said on Instagram. Sophie posted an almost identical message on her own Instagram account.
According to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office, Trudeau and Grégoire Trudeau have “signed a legal separation agreement.” The reason for the separation is not yet clear.
Here are key things to know about the couple …
* The couple were married in 2005 before Trudeau had joined politics. Trudeau is currently 51 while Sophie is 48.
* They have three children, 15-year-old Xavier, 14-year-old Ella-Grace and 9-year-old Hadrien.
* Trudeau is the second Canadian prime minister to announce a separation while in office.
* Notably, the first Canadian PM who got seperated while in office was Trudeau’s father Pierre. The senior Trudeau separated from wife Margaret in 1979, and the two divorced in 1984.
* After Trudeau became prime minister in late 2015, he and Sophie were often seen together at social functions and on foreign trips. But in recent years, Sophie has curtailed such appearances with her husband.
* The two of them did travel to London in May for the coronation of King Charles and were together when US President Joe Biden visited in late March.
* A statement from Trudeau’s office said: “They remain a close family and Sophie and the Prime Minister are focused on raising their kids in a safe, loving and collaborative environment. The family will be together on vacation, beginning next week.”
(With inputs from agencies)
If you want to register your marriage in thane visit : https://courtmarriageregistration.co.in/court-marriage-registration-in-thane